JOIN THE PLASTIC FREE JULY CHALLENGE
For the month of July, people around the world are making small steps to reduce single-use plastic in their daily lives.
Plastic Free July is a global movement started by a small, local government team in Western Australia in 2011. The Plastic Free Foundation helps people to be part of the solution to plastic pollution by turning concern into action. It is now one of the most influential environment campaigns in the world, inspiring millions of participants in over 190 countries to change their habits in a bid to help save the planet.
According to Plastic Free July, participation in the movement results in:
- A reduction in household waste and recycling by 15kg per person per year.
- Global reduction of 2.1 billion tonnes of waste and recycling including 300 million kgs of plastic consumption.
- After 11 years, Plastic Free July has reduced global demand by 2.3% of all bottled water, 3.1% of all fruit and vegetable packaging and 4.0% of all plastic straws.
What you can do:
- Use a reusable shopping bag, water bottle and reusable cup for hot drinks.
- Buy loose fruit and vegetables rather than pre-packaged.
- Avoid plastic food wrapping by using containers and lunch boxes.
- Seek out sustainable alternatives to everyday plastics such as bamboo tooth brushes and compostable dog waste bags.
What we are doing:
- Launched a range of reusable cups. They don’t just look great, they also reflect our drive for sustainability! Shop our range of reusable cups here.
- Offer discount off our coffee in our two cafés when you use a reusable cup; 40c off for any reusable cup and 50c off for a Java Republic branded reusable cup.
- If you forget your reusable cup, our take-out cups are 100% biodegradable and compostable. Just remember to pop your empty cup in the brown bin with food waste.
- We give away our hessian sacks free to customers for school projects, council projects, garden centres etc. We also give away our used/damp coffee grounds to customers at our cafés for organic farming.
- Reduced our tea and coffee packaging by switching from 500g bags to 1kg foil bags.
- Our ethos is 'Coffee with a Conscience'. We focus on social sustainability and give back to communities where we get our beans from.
- Became the world’s first purpose-built carbon-neutral roastery.
What are the benefits of taking part?
- Reducing pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Saving money. Reusable items work out cheaper than constantly purchasing single-use plastic items.
- Helping to achieve cleaner streets, oceans, and beautiful communities.